Irish Feast: Corned Beef and Colcannon
Prepare the perfect feast for St. Patrick’s Day with these delicious traditional dishes.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef Ingredients:
- Pickling spice packet or 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1-3 lb. flat-cut corned beef brisket
In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place all ingredients. You’ll want to place your corned beef, fat side up, and sprinkle with pickling spice. Add just enough water to almost cover meat.
Cover and cook on high until corned beef is tender, 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 on low, depending on your slow cooker.
Thinly slice corned beef against the grain and serve with colcannon.
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes (2 to 2 1/2 pounds), cut into large chunks
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 lightly packed cups of chopped kale, cabbage, chard, or other leafy green
- 3 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
- 1 cup milk or cream
Put the potatoes in a medium pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender – about 15-20 minutes, then drain.
Sauté garlic n the butter in your pot over medium-high heat. Add the greens and cook the for 3-4 minutes, or until they are wilted.
Pour in the milk or cream, mix well, and add the potatoes.
Reduce the heat to low and mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens. Add salt to taste and serve hot with butter and topped with your corned beef.